Monday, June 9, 2008

Does This Picture Need An Explanation?

Boat Haven what an institution! Probably one of early Naples biggest employers (besides Publix). Living in Brookside I walked or drove by this place everyday as far back as I can remember. On weekend nights on the way home I would use the light from the Mercury Outboard Motors sign as a reference light to cross the highway to Davis Blvd. On Saturday nights this came in real handy being the beer I drank was having it’s usual after effects. In early 60’s Naples this was one of the biggest buildings I can recall kinda like a Naples Empire State Building to me. I only talked to Phil a couple of times toward the end his life & never got to thank him for the beer & the sign light he supplied for my weekend walks home.

Thanks Mr. Morse for all you did for Naples & for your daughter for telling me to get a life when I need to be told to. Also anyone remember the Hawaiian Pearl/Golden Orchid the pink & purple Edsel with that shark fin trunk lid? Yep we NEED a photo of that here, what a little missing piece of 60's & 70's Naples!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of the funniest things I ever heard was, I think, at Boat Haven. We were hanging around and a young man who was working at WNOG walked up to the little place that sold bait and stuff and announced, in a loud, baritone Ronnie AM-Radio voice:
"HI!!!

I'm (name withheld but it was Bob Woodhill) and I'd like a POUND of BAIT SHRIMP, PUH-LEASE!!!"

It was very show-biz and I was most impressed.

--Jim

Anonymous said...

the orchid car was a classic. Sure wish we had a picture too. Maybe Chrisse can find one!!!