Wednesday, April 9, 2008

“We’ll Let Them Think About It” Jerry Lee in ‘73 Part Two

We’re in hot pursuit out in the parking it’s mass nuthouse out there he had these 2 bigger than Mike Weeks ass kickers with him that wouldn’t let you near him. Frenchie from Prathers (see photo) is out in the parking going “I WANT MY MONEY BACK” & these backhoe lookin’ guys are staring at him like your shoe does a cockroach. They speed off & we’re on their trail, they pull into the Hilton & disappear. So we run into Mack Vickery & say hey we want to meet “The Killer” he goes come with me. At this point we’re thinking “Adios we’re toast” & he knocks on a room door. He opens the door & there’s JLL at the mirror with a blond combing his hair. Mack goes I got some fans that want to meet you. JLL turns to the blond & goes BABY GO GET THE BAGS OUTTA THE CAR I’M TALKIN’ TO MY FANS! Like a light switch he turns into the nicest person you’d ever want to meet. We had him autograph pieces of the ceiling & he was just a hospitable as you ever could imagine. As we were leaving I was walking down the stairs & almost forgot I turned around & yelled up the stairs Jerry Lee “Think About It” he pokes his head around the corner & points his finger down the stairs at me & yells back "We'll Let Them Think About It"!

Bottom row of photo's: L to R Danny Wall, unknown girl, Dave MaCalister, (note Dave's hand trying to push me out of the photo) Jerry Lee, Bob Westman & Mack Vickery. 2nd photo Jerry Lee & Howard Green. Jerry Lee is signing pieces of the Open Hearth's ceiling.

1 comment:

TLS said...

JERRY LEE LEWIS, oh man, I'm sorry but I always found him to be seriously creepy and that's even before I found out about the whole, married to his 13 year old cousin, thing!

I guess I just never got the attraction of the KILLER. Actually he seemed somewhat mentally challenged, oh not in a severe way, but I'll bet he's not the highest yielding stock in the portfolio, if you know hat I mean...And what's with the shirt opened to the waist. All that ever did was expose a sweaty white, hairless chest. Again, creepy.

I saw the current Jerry Lee on one of those PBS specials and as he played the piano with his old arthritic fingers, and sang "come along-a-baby" the only shakin' goin' on was the shaky, cracking voice of the former KILLER. I kinda felt sorry for him after I saw that.

But anyway, thanks for giving me the opportunity to do my bit on Jerry Lee Lewis, and if you think I was hard on him, you ought to hear my bit on Dylan. Oh man, don't get me started!

Everything aside, the "Open Hearth" rocked! It was a dark day in our little community when they closed their doors!

Peace and joy to all, Tara