Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Pre Hurricane Donna Pier

Probably this most interesting color photo of the old pier I've come across. Don Spicer told me the 1st year he moved here in 1958 his whole family went down to the pier on Christmas Day & went swimming. All of the old timer's on the pier stared at them like they were crazy because to them it was winter & only damn yankees swam this time of year. The next year the Spicer's went down to the pier on Christmas Day & stood on the pier & stared at all the damn yankees making like fools swimming in the wintertime. Nowadays all anyone bitches about is their driving..........

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi- My family moved to Naples in 1955-I was five ,my sister 9, and my brother 14.The Naples police came to our 3 yr old home on 1st st and 2nd ave s(now gulfshore blvd) and told us we had to leave at 10 pm Sept 9, 1960.I will never forget what happened soon after...I live in Tampa now and on an island downtown.and run like a rabbit at the first voluntary evacuation...I truly hope people will heed the warninga, there were only 15,000 people living in Naples in 1960,and 41 was a 2 lane road